Wednesday 14 October 2009

Local Democracy

yes I know I did promise I will try to post more..........

Anyways, this week is Local Democracy Week where Councils up and down the country highlight their innovative ways they liaise with their citizens. A poll conducted by London Councils show that 68% of respondents feel that their Council makes a positive difference. Wow! thats a huge a number considering every other week in the South London Press and News Shopper we seem to see the not so nice side of Councils.

Well I was at the Lewisham Central Local Assembly meeting on Monday and I just wanted to pass my congratulations onto Youth Village Project, the Tamil Academy of Languages and Arts and Get The Message Murials Project for obtaining money from the Mayor's Fund; and the Hither Green Society, Ahoy, and Scout Association for obtaining money from the Locality Fund.

One group that did miss out was the Church of God, asking for additional funding to support their summer activity programme for 5-11 year olds. This was my favourite programme as its a issue that is close to my heart; support and provision for the 5-11s. That period is critical in a child's development and there isn't a programme or initiative in place locally, regionally or nationally to address this ( correct me if i'm wrong). Its a shame as we could sort so many problems such as children achieving their full potential in schools, prevent them going down the wrong path in gangs and crime etc.....

I spoke to group, and although they were disappointed they will carry and will look for other channels for additional funding.

Keep going!

No comments:

Post a Comment