Friday 10 July 2009

“Mummy, mummy, mummy . . . I don’t want to die.” - Shakilus Townse

Today was the tragic end to another tragic story blighting our communities. I do not want to go into the details of what happened and why it happened, all I want to say is that we, in society, have to take some form of responsibility on why this is going on. We can go on about schools not doing enough, government not investing enough money in our most needed areas around the country, but the real problem is us --- the people, the society as a whole.

I am fortunate to be married to Sam as she can give me her perspective on society here being a Filipina ( with spanish and chinese influences). The Philippines is one of the nicest countries in world. People from all walks of life, whatever their background, are extremely kind and courteous.

I suppose its to do with their history of fighting the spanish and the Americans, going through a dictatorship and ending it through a bloodless revolution --People Power. Perhaps. I don't know. But what I do know is that those events created a unified identity that the Filipinos are proud of.

My wife posits that this may be what's lacking here. She asked me what might be the pinnacle events that brought society together in this country. I thought about it and said the Second World War-- a sense of solidarity amidst the common enemy (the paradox of "unity in war"). Excluding England World Cup antics in 1990, the European Championships in 1996 and of course 2005 Ashes ( sorry Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland), there hasn't been anything else.

How can we bring our society closer together? One thing that will be happening on 19 July is the Big Lunch and I really do hope people turn up to one. Its aim is put the smile on people's faces and to try create that physical community spirit again---- far more tangible and real than being connected via facebook.

I believe that this can be a starting point to greater things... If we, as a society learn to enjoy each other, with everyone feeling a sense of belonging and camarederie, then perhaps it will be easier for us to care for each other and work together to tackle the pressing issues in our community.







No comments:

Post a Comment